Feature proposal: Rebootless Installer

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Jul 14 15:19:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Christoph
Wickert<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 14.07.2009, 08:09 -0600 schrieb Douglas McClendon:
>> Colin Walters wrote:
>> > Another thing to keep in mind that immediately post-installation there
>> > are going to be updates, which will at a minimum need desktop reset
>> > (fast reboot experience), or more likely system restart.
>>
>> I don't exactly get this.  I might understand some negligible things.
>> But historically I've often done
>>
>> -normal install, reboot
>>
>> -booted, logged in using everying, then a massive yum update, then I'd
>> wait till it was absolutely convenient to logout of the desktop or reboot
>
> You wouldn't need no yum update if you enabled the updates repo during
> install. It's a single click.

There's no such step in the live install (right?).    Now, it would
likely make sense to have such a mechanism, but it would need design.
I forget offhand too how the PackageKit updater works in the live
image (do we disable it by default?).

It's super confusing to discuss installation when we have two wildly
different forms of it; in general I think if we're looking at
improving user experience the right things to focus on are preupgrade
and the live image.