NVR bugs in rawhide

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 14 17:47:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 18:39 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Whether with %dist or not, doesn't make a difference. You commit the
> > > upgrade to the branch that previously targeted rawhide. F-10 in your
> > > example.
> >
> > And it automatically ends up in F-11?
>
> With koji inheritance, yes.
>
> > I can't tag and build for F-11 if
> > the tag with same EVR already exists in F-10.
>
> We're not talking about the same thing. Or to put it differently, you want
> to prove something to me which I don't find relevant in this discussion.

I just don't understand the build system well enough yet to know how
this works. I agree that for packages that only contain stuff that is
going to be the same on every architecture and distribution (such as
packages consisting of PDF files) not using the %{?dist} tag is sane.

The question about rpm internals changing is related to this, but is a
separate issue. IMHO one should be able to tag&build noarch packages for
multiple distributions at once to cope with the changes in rpm.

However, packages that are compiled in some way *really should* use the
%{?dist} tag, since that way they are upgraded when the distribution is
upgraded. (Or it can be easily seen that the compilation is obsolete.)
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor
jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org