Against what do I file this bug?

Stefan Hartsuiker sahartsu at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 16 13:54:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, July 15, 2009 17:31, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> S.A. Hartsuiker wrote:
>> On 07/15/2009 01:24 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> This sounds like an initrd problem to me, but I am no expert.
>>
>>  Uhm, no. I am in the ''Fedora Interactive'' bit, the
>> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit at that moment.
>
> What I mean is, if you aren't getting something mounted, my first guess
> would be that the contents of the initrd are wrong. That might be a
> mkinitrd problem, but it might be something else. I am not a boot
> process expert... ergo I probably will not be of further help; sorry.

Thanks for the effort anyway :)

> I can think of one other question that might help someone else help you,
> however. Is it only /boot that doesn't mount? What about /, swap, and
> any other disk mounts (i.e. /proc, /sys are likely not interesting) you
> have configured?

The fakeraid mirrored device only contains two partitions, namely p2 ( to be
mounted on /)  and p1 (to be mounted on /boot).
All other things that are to be mounted can be mounted (at the point of the
error not everything is yet moounted though)

One other bit of an odd thing that may not have been made completely clear
is that for the fakeraid mirrored device no device files exist. This includes
the root partition/mount even though it is actually mounted ro at the point of
the error.

Another thing I just noticed is that the devicenode numbers (major/minor) that
are used for the fakeraid mirrored device during a livecd run are 253/0, 253/1
and 253/2. These numbers are in a ''normal'' boot sequence (the one that fails
to startup correctly) used by the second fakeraid device.

Does devicemapper or somesuch remove pre-existing devices if they don't match
it's idea of waht is should be or does devicemapper just start at the
''beginning'' when creating devicenodes?

Kind regards,
Stefan Hartsuiker

[snip signature]