Does anything require /proc/bus/usb?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 16:10:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:42:56AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> If not, should it be phased out?
>
> I'm referencing a use case with VirtualBox that looks for /proc/bus/usb
> by default and will use that instead of libusb for USB device access.
> This has caused issues for people wishing to use VirtualBox on Fedora in
> that they cannot use USB devices without a little tinkering. They either
> have to remove the /proc/bus/usb mount from rc.sysinit or adjust their
> fstab to allow other users access.

Why not do a patch for VirtualBox to make it look in the right place
first ? We've just done that for QEMU too, changing its search order
to be /sys/bus/usb, /dev/bus/usb and only then /proc/bus/usb. Removing
the whole /proc/bus/usb mount to solve one application's problem does
not seem ideal.

> I'll even go as far as providing a patch! *gasp*
>
> Most of you probably don't care about VirtualBox and would rather us use
> libvirt, but some folks use different software.

FYI the distinction VirtualBox vs libvirt isn't correct. libvirt is
an API for any virtualization technology, and has drivers for Xen,
KVM, QEMU, VirtualBox and more.

Daniel