Updates and delays in signing packages

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:23:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:56:02AM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
>On 07/17/2009 07:57 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> It takes a push between 2 and
>> 3 days to actually complete right now.
>>
>> We've had some significant delays due to a variety of factors over the past
>> couple of weeks.  I think we now have most of the big ones fixed, with the
>> master mirrors allowing more rsync access, and the updates composes now being
>> able to hardlink again (reduces mash time).  There is another issue involving
>> deltarpms that I've filed a bug on, and we should get some speed-up if we can
>> get that figured out too.
>
>Josh - it sounds like you're working hard on this; much appreciated.
>
>Is there a clear resource constraint in the process - lack of hardware,
>insufficient bandwidth (locally or at the mirrors)?  It sounds like

Hardware has been taken care of recently.  Mirror bandwidth is also now back
to normal.

>current manpower is covered - are there software improvements
>(optimizations, pipelining, architectural) on the wishlist that would
>improve throughput?

There is general knowledge that makedeltarpm is slow.  However, we're working
an issue that could speed things up due to us doing work we don't need to
at the moment.  So before getting into specifics, I'd like to see that issue
resolved first.

josh