Mass rebuild for Fedora 12

Ondřej Vašík ovasik at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 08:39:35 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Fedora Release Enginerering is going to be starting a mass rebuild this
> Thursday, July 28th, for the following Fedora 12 features:
> 	- XZ RPM Payloads
> 	- x86 Architecture Support

I'm a bit aware of quite recent change in FORTIFY_SOURCES - which added
some checks to prevent buffer overflows. It caused (many) testsuite
failures in tar and sigabrting TCL's (and I'm sure some more). Source
code was almost without change, compiled just fine, but application was
later SIGABRTing. There is a lot of applications without testsuite
coverage, so they likely just compile well and rpm will be tagged. Later
it would mean troubles for users (and potentially unstable situation) as
the response time of some Fedora maintainers is quite high.

I guess that gcc warning should be changed to error before that rebuild:
FILE:LINE: warning: call to __builtin___strcpy_chk will always overflow
destination buffer

Otherwise it could mean many SIGABRTing applications, as some old dirty
C practices are now failing with SIGABRTs. Changing this compilation
warning to an error would mean easier detection of such dirty things and
would prevent (at least some) later SIGABRTs.

Should the bugzilla with request for change be filled?

Greetings,
         Ondřej Vašík