Purging the F12 orphans

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 06:26:33 UTC 2009

On 07/23/2009 06:43 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 13:35 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>> On 07/21/2009 12:06 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 20:11 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Umm.... What???
>>>
>>> Sigh.  pcmanx-gtk2.spec includes:
>>>
>>>         # We need to own this dir, because we don't want to Requires: firefox
>>>         %{_libdir}/mozilla/plugins/
>>>
>>> I think not.
>>>
>>> The package already "Requires: xulrunner"; which requires
>>> mozilla-filesystem, which is what owns %{_libdir}/mozilla/plugins.
>>
>> Yeah, that predates mozilla-filesystem. pcmanx-gtk2 is safe to die if no
>> one wants it (although, having a telnet client plugin for firefox is
>> somewhat cool).
>
> I have no interest in taking ownership of this package; but I would be
> happy to fix this problem so that the package can be properly culled.

This can be culled without anything further being done.  The
mozilla-filesystem package provides the same thing as pcmanx-gtk2; when
pcmanx-gtk2 goes away the dependency will still be satisfied.

> Why aren't orphans given open ACLs?

The argument people have made in the past is that orphaned packages
should either be unorphaned or be retired; not brought up to snuff for
random fixes that one developer decides are worthwhile while allowing
other bugs to be reported without answers, etc.

(note that almost all packages should be open to provenpackager at this
point, orphan or not.  If you want truly open acls, we need to also
address the question of how to safely open acls on a package to anyone
in the packager group.)

-Toshio