fedora 11 worst then ever release

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Jul 27 03:04:05 UTC 2009

On 07/25/2009 03:15 PM, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> But I dont complain, kind of got used to the idea that fedora is not
> made for upgrades.

I haven't had the best of luck with anaconda/preupgrade, but yum + human
works pretty well.  I've got a machine here doing my SOHO tasks that was
installed as Redhat 9 and has been yum upgraded. FC1->FC2 was the only
tricky one.

The YumUpgradeFAQ is indispensable and sometimes there are conflicts
that need resolving (which, I assume, is why anaconda fails to
depsolve).  But all-in-all it takes far less time to upgrade than
re-install for non-trivial configurations.  We suggest filing bugs
against packages that fail to upgrade, but I believe I've seen those
closed with "we don't support upgrades."  "...yet," I say - it's inevitable.

I really wish there were a way to segregate /etc into system configs and
application configs so that it was easier to do re-installs.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/