Testing libsatsolver on Fedora

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Wed Jul 29 08:59:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:00:17PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Of course, that depends on whether what we have in yum is as slow as
> whatever SUSE had before this. :)

I doubt that. It's not an easy task to create software as slow
as the 10.x update stack ;-)

> ISTR that SUSE was rather infamous for
> very slow package manager performance before zypper came along.

To clarify: this has nothing to do with zypper. Both zypper and
YaST use "libzypp", which was pretty much unusable in the 10.x
SUSE releases. That's what prompted me to create the libsatsolver
library, now used by libzypp. Thus, both zypper and YaST are fast.
(PackageKit also uses libzypp, btw.)
Using the same library has the big advantage that you get the same
results (and bugs) using all interfaces.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de