Testing libsatsolver on Fedora

Michael Schroeder mls at suse.de
Wed Jul 29 10:37:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 02:44:02PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 07/28/2009 03:04 PM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
>

> > Ok, solv now supports mirrorlists. Updated packages should be
> > available in an hour or two (depending on the build service load).
>
> Tested. Works with mirror lists atleast partially but still too slow. I
> have compared it with yum

some points:

- seems like it still accesses some remote hosts
  because it checks if the metadata is up-to-date. It shouldn't
  do this the second time you call it, seems like it doesn't
  have write access to /var/cache/solv. Please chown the directory
  to your uid.

- FL access is slowing it down a bit (FL is the complete filelist).
  Even worse is that it had to download the file list for the
  chromium repository every time because of the missing write
  access.

- Also, I've rewritten the file provides algorithm, so it should
  be quite a bit faster now (packages available in an hour). It
  now rewrites the cache file after the file provides have been
  added.

    $ echo n | ( time ./solv up )
    rpm database: cached
    repo 'fedora': cached
    repo 'rpmfusion-free': cached
    repo 'rpmfusion-free-updates': cached
    repo 'updates': cached

    Transaction summary:

    73 upgraded packages:
    [...]
    install size change: -8008 K

    OK to continue (y/n)? Abort.
    0.248u 0.052s 0:00.32 90.6%     0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

  As you can see, if the solv can take full advantage of the
  cache (no FL loads), it's pretty fast.

But this really isn't about execution speed, but correctness
of the solver results.

Cheers,
  Michael.

Michael Schroeder                                   mls at suse.de