[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Jul 29 14:21:00 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 29 July 2009 at 15:47, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-29 at 15:39 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> <snip>
> > It's quite hypocritical of you to use an "anti-open-source" company
> > (Creative) as an argument for not supporting hw mixing on one side
> > and then touting other "anti-open-source" companies as examples to
> > follow on the other.
>
> Since when does using technology as an example mean that you condone the
> way companies do business?

Ask Lennart. I only took his argument to its logical conclusion.

> Maybe we should start removing other parts of
> Fedora because they were inspired by, or share similar technical
> features to things Microsoft or Apple did before us.

Ah, so dropping support for hw mixing is a great innovation.

> I hope you see how flawed your argument is.

It was more of a ridicule than anything else.

> > But whatever. Just please stop imposing pulseaudio on those who don't
> > want to use it. For the record, I'm still considering leaving Fedora
> > because - as a GNOME desktop - it's becoming unusable without pulseaudio.
> > Making it a hard dependency for GNOME bluetooth stack in F11 went a bit
> > too far in my opinion.
>
> I did that, and the reasons for it were discussed on this list. Nobody
> has made any headway into explaining how to fix the problem[1] without
> the hard dependency.
>
> [1]: That'd be out-of-the-box Bluetooth headset and speakers support

While having support for stuff like that is great, I still would like
to be able to remove pulseaudio (even it it means losing support for
bluetooth headsets and speakers) without losing the rest of gnome-bluetooth.

What was the problem with that?

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."