new to list, first post

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Thu Jul 30 14:40:01 UTC 2009

wdepli at mikrotec.com wrote:
> I am new to this list, and I am looking forward to hearing the discussion.
>
> But thanks to bob and others responding to my post on fedoraforum.org
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=227101 , I think I would
> like to broach a subject.  My apologies if this is already a burning issue
> -- I am at work, and should not spend time browsing the archives.
>
> Is Fedora really gaining that much ground with every bi-yearly release to
> justify that pace?

Gaining ground by what measure?

> After all Red Hat is not a desktop but a server, right?  And Chrome could
> kill current races to find a desktop to compete with Windows.  So why not
> concentrate on what Red Hat/Fedora does best?  Let Ubuntu grind out Gnome
> and KDE enhancements.  How often does Solaris release desktop distros?
>
> Thanks again for letting me be a party to the discussion.
>
> D_bot

Fedora, from my understanding, is trying to be a leading-edge
general-purpose distro.  Recent versions of all types of software for
any purpose.  If you want long-term stability, use RHEL(or CentOS, et.
al.)  If you want to see where things are headed, try new things, and
maybe help get there, use Fedora, and enjoy the ride. :)

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love