Brainstorming Session for Fedora Community 2.0 - Monday August 3, 2009 - 1500 UTC

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 19:25:48 UTC 2009

John Palmieri wrote:

> ----- "Ben Boeckel" <MathStuf at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

doesn't
>> seem to work with
Works
>> in firefox.

>> > Hmm. How to put this nicely...
>> >
>> > Konqueror is a terrible web browser. Use something else.
>> >
>> > If you want a more detailed answer, it is that konqueror
>> doesn't
>> > properly support javascript, specifically, jquery.
>> >
>> > See:
>> > http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/4362
>> > http://dev.jquery.com/ticket/4725
>> > http://docs.jquery.com/Browser_Compatibility
>> >
>> > ~spot
>> >

>> Actually, the only things that the jQuery test page[1] says
that
>> Konqueror (4.2.4) is failing at are:
>>
>> 31. core module: append(String|Element|Array<Element>|jQuery)
>>     7. Check for appending text with spaces
>> 137. ajax module: jQuery.post(String, Hash, Function) -
simple
>> with xml
>>     3. Expected 4 assertions, but 2 were run
>> 197. fx module: Chain hide show
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 198. fx module: Chain show hide
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 199. fx module: Chain toggle in
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 200. fx module: Chain toggle out
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 201. fx module: Chain slideUp slideDown
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 202. fx module: Chain slideDown slideUp
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 203. fx module: Chain slideToggle in
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>> 204. fx module: Chain slideToggle out
>>     5. Make sure that overflow is reset (Old: visible Cur:
>> hidden) expected: hidden actual: visible
>>
>> The first two seem like bugs (137 looks fixed as of 4.2.98),
the
>> last bunch like not-implemented-yet. I assume the Chain stuff
is
>> used to load/show the panels and such in the work area
(pardon
>> the ignorance of any official jargon). So once the Chain
stuff
>> is implemented, I imagine Konq should work (unless there are
>> things that the test page doesn't test for).
>>
>> - --Ben
>>
>> [1] http://jquery.com/test
>
> I also hit resource limits when using regexp.  That being said
if there are easy ways to debug in
> Konq I am willing to take a look at issues in my own code once
the JQuery tests are passed.  If
> the devs want to make FComm a sort of test site for AJAX, I am
willing to work with them.

> --
> John (J5) Palmieri
> Software Engineer
> Red Hat, Inc.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't know of any way to debug in
Konqueror (I don't usually develop websites and if I do, they're
basically text files). I'll cross-post to kfm-devel so that the
Konqueror developers also get it.

- --Ben