X defaulting to side-by-side output on multiple displays: Anaconda implications?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 23:03:14 UTC 2009

I remember seeing a recent announcement from the X guys that henceforth,
X will be defaulting to side-by-side mode on systems with multiple
displays, rather than clone mode.

I just realized this may have implications for anaconda. Is whatever WM
we load anaconda in capable of handling this, or are we going to wind up
with anaconda centred across the middle of both displays on systems with
two monitors?

I'll be testing this as soon as we have an anaconda that's actually
capable of making it into X, since I have a qualifying setup (a dual
monitor NVIDIA card that nouveau can drive properly). But I thought I'd
bring it up as soon as it occurred to me, since we're close to alpha
compose time. Anaconda guys, do you know off-hand whether this will be a
problem or not?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey