Packaging Survey - May 2009

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 20:18:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I did a quick survey from Fedora on what software Fedora users are using
> that is not available in the repo. Here are the results. If you find
> anything interesting, feel free to pick it up.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging_Survey_May_2009

eucalyptus has a non-trivial list of java deps that we don't have
packaged yet. I looked at the 1.5 pre-release tarballs in launchpad
before ecualyptus opened up its bzr trees to the public.  Ubuntu seems
to have initially solved this problem in a way that our packaging
review process would definitely not allow. They lumped a lot of
individual java codebased together into a single package in order to
streamline the effort to get eucalyptus into universe.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/eucalyptus-javadeps

It would take a concerted effort of a number of contributors with
reasonable java packaging experience to work together and coordinate
package reviews to build up the complete set of java packages needed
for full eucalyptus functionality. I would definitely not be among
them.  If people are serious about it. I really suggest they start
forming up a team and start working on it now with F12 as a target
release for the first full set of packages.

-jef