Maintainer Responsibilities

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jun 3 12:01:46 UTC 2009

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> On Miércoles 03 Junio 2009 05:09:49 Ralf Corsepius escribió:
>> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>> It's the reporter's job to report the bug upstream when asked to do so.
>> I disagree. Reporters are "users" - "customers" if you like to.
>>
>> You can't expect them to do anything, nor demand them to do anything,
>> nor force them to do anything.
>
> We are not forcing anyone to do anything but we think direct communication
> between user and developer is much more better

I consider maintainers redirecting arbitrary reporters to upstreams to
be rude and hostile, because they are presuming the reporter to be
* interested in tracking down bugs
* interested in getting involved into upstreams
* technically able to do so.

This occasionally applies to developers - To normal users it usally
doesn't apply, they want "to have their issue fixed".

Ralf