Maintainer Responsibilities

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jun 4 07:08:11 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> I consider maintainers redirecting arbitrary reporters to upstreams to
>> be rude and hostile, because they are presuming the reporter to be
>> * interested in tracking down bugs
>
> If you don't care about your bug, why are you reporting it in the first
> place?
Because it's not "my bug", it's a bug in a package, which I am using,
which is exposing a bug.

> Only very few people report bugs just to be nice (and those will be
> happy to do anything to help us), most people report bugs because they want
> them fixed.
Yes, they want to have them fixed ... and they use bz at rh to communicate
it, because Fedora is the product they are using.

>> * interested in getting involved into upstreams
>> * technically able to do so.
>
> If they're able to report the bug to us, they're also able to report it to
> upstream,  the information they need to provide is basically the same (e.g.
> for KDE, they just need to pick "Fedora packages" from a dropdown to let
> upstream know what distro they're using, other than that, the requested
> information is exactly the same AFAICT).
Non-sense. A bug is fixed in Fedora when a package maintainer ships
fixed packages, not when upstream "starts looking into it" or
"acknowledges it".

>> This occasionally applies to developers - To normal users it usally
>> doesn't apply, they want "to have their issue fixed".
>
> Then they need to do what it takes to get their issue fixed. Talking to
> upstream, helping with tracking the bug down etc. are all part of that.
Non-sense.

Me thinks, your are just being lazy and are trying to rudely push around
  Fedora's user base. "customer-friendliness" is something entirely
different from your attitude.

Ralf