Question about web applications

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Thu Jun 4 12:28:28 UTC 2009

David Nalley wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Perhaps I am the least well suited to respond as I did some of the
>>> initial review.
>>>
>> No, on the contrary.
>>

>>> However, there are at least 10 bundled libraries with ampache,
>>> including pear-XML_RPC, nusoap, getid3, small snippets from Horde,
>>> captchaphp, php-Snoopy, etc.
>>>
>>> In addition to the security benefits, creating the separate package
>>> means other packages (even other web apps) can make use of the
>>> libraries that would be available in Fedora instead of just ampache.
>>> I can empathize with the extra work that this causes, as I am trying
>>> to fix a few of these problems with another web app.
>>>

>> Maybe we can list all of the packages we would like to have for web
>> applications, and try to set a "task force" to cope with them?
>>
>> I think if we had three or four people willing to help, the work would be
>> concluded fast. There are always people looking forward to contributing,
>> but without a good package to work with.
>>

> I think that's an outstanding idea, and I'd be willing to work towards
> such an end, and perhaps since there is such a prevalence of php we
> can get some buy-in from the php-sig as well. To illustrate some of
> the usefulness - I have a web app I am working on now that uses
> php-Snoopy as ampache also does, so that's at least two applications
> that can make use of the package.

Count me in. I maintain several PHP apps, and having gone through the
nightmare of switching from bundled to system libraries, I
wholeheartedly agree that using system libraries from the beginning is
the best way to go.  Using the system lib means that security fixes are
done in one place for all apps, and we don't have to patch the apps, or
wait for upstream to push an update with an updated bundled lib.

I'll help review, etc.

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love