Packager = Programmer?

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 4 16:48:05 UTC 2009

> I wish I knew how to organize some optional program language specific
> skills development sessions aimed at packagers that made sense..but I
> don't.  Nothing like a cert or anything like that, but to introduce
> packagers and potential packagers to languages just as a good skills
> building exercise.

More than learning development skills for the language you package, it
would be great to introduce stuff like how software is build /
installed.

I'd love to learn how autotools, setuptools, and other equivalents for
other languages work. Not necessarily because I want to build a
project using those, but because I sometimes have a hard time figuring
out how to patch a Makefile in one of my packages, why I should patch
a .in or .am file,...

Actually, those would be great ideas for Fedora Classrooms I guess.