F11: plymouthd hides important (debug) messages from initrd execution

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Jun 4 17:11:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 07:13:54PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:14:11PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:15:48AM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > Yesterday I installed latest F11/rawhide. The default installed kernel
> > > (2.6.29 something) works fine.
> > >
> > > I compiled custom 2.6.30-rc6 kernel, and created initrd for it, and tried
> > > booting it.
> > >
> > > Booting process gets stuck at "creating initial device nodes".
> > >
> > > Any ideas? I assume that's during initrd execution..
> > > Something missing from my kernel config?
> > >
> > > Any tips would be appreciated.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this problem?
> >

> I edited the initrd image, and added some debug echos.
> The command that hangs the initrd execution is this:
>
> daemonize --ignore-missing /bin/plymouthd
>
> Any ideas?

Ok.. After I disabled every call to plymouthd from initrd init script I
figured out the problem was not related to plymouthd at all.

The problem here is plymouthd seems to _hide_ everything that happens after it
has been started.. and thus prevents important stuff from being seen and the
real problems from being easily determined.

-- Pasi