the end of life for flash player (HTML5)

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 07:48:09 UTC 2009

On Jueves 04 Junio 2009 23:47:21 Kevin Kofler escribió:
> Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
> > the end of life for flash player (HTML5)
>
> Unfortunately, as much as I'd like that to be true, at this point it's
> mostly just wishful thinking. :-( (It's good that Dailymotion is leading
> the way there though. It's NOT good that they're hardcoding a browser check
> for only Firefox though, the latest Arora which does support HTML 5 video
> is not recognized, that's broken!)

I was really surprised - hardcoded download of FF 3.5 :(

> Now we just need HTML 5 video support in Konqueror! :-) (And an entry for
> Firefox 3.5 in the list of fake browser IDs for crappy sites which still
> don't understand that sniffing user agents is broken!)
>
> That said, unfortunately, I think we'll be stuck with some sites using
> Flash crap for years to come. :-( Projects like Gnash and Swfdec will
> remain important. I agree that people should NOT install the proprietary
> Flash.

Mostly it depends on YouTube - it's 90% of all Flash content for me. So if
YouTube (and p0rn variants :D) adopts <video> tag, battle is nearly won. For
games - <canvas> with JS is nice way. But it's missing IDE as Adobe has - my
roommate is using some and I have to admit - it's really great tool - if you
are more designer than coder. For now - we have technology, now we need tools.

> > I am very happy to watch a video without macromedia flash.
>
> FYI, YouTube works with Gnash if you have the required codecs (but embedded
> YouTube videos elsewhere don't work). There's also the solution to download
> the videos from most of those sites using various downloaders or
> servicemenus, then watch them with any video player.
>
> But HTML 5 with patent-free codecs is clearly the solution we should all
> fight for! (But hardcoded checks for only Firefox aren't!)

That's the problem - there must be at least fallback to patent-free open
codec. It's OK for me to encode video to hypermegacool patent obfuscated
"high" quality (marketing stuff) codec but there has to be Theora encoded
video server as base to support all browsers! PS: There is nice progress on
Theora field!

Jaroslav