Question about web applications

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 08:37:53 UTC 2009

David Nalley, Thu, 04 Jun 2009 07:00:25 -0400:
> Perhaps I am the least well suited to respond as I did some of the
> initial review.
> However, there are at least 10 bundled libraries with ampache, including
> pear-XML_RPC, nusoap, getid3, small snippets from Horde, captchaphp,
> php-Snoopy, etc.
>
> In addition to the security benefits, creating the separate package
> means other packages (even other web apps) can make use of the libraries
> that would be available in Fedora instead of just ampache. I can
> empathize with the extra work that this causes, as I am trying to fix a
> few of these problems with another web app.

Yes, it is PITA, but try to compare this with situation about Java
packages and your problems will suddenly look trivial ;-). Yes, all
dependencies needs to be separated into their own packages (*if possible*
from their respective upstream sources) and your package should be just
requiring them.

Matěj