GDM Language list...

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Jun 5 15:34:14 UTC 2009

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel (ankit at redhat.com) said:
> I think above checks only ensures the technical (rather i18n) support
> exists. But, what about the native language desktop users who expects
> fedora to be equal for all languages (just like english)?
>
> How about,
>
> We only show a language in the language list if
> - language-support is installed (e.g. yum groupinstall chinese-support)

Well, there are languages we would support fine that don't have a
specific language-support group (most anything that uses a Latin-1 like
charset, and no specific input method.) Moreover, the groups that are
installed aren't actually recorded anywhere on the installed system.
(And having gdm attempt to discover/compute what groups are installed
is completely impractical.)

Bill