Proposal (and yes, I'm willing to do stuff!): Must Use More Macros

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 17:50:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> I've been dipping my toes into packaging things for Fedora lately, and
> one thing that feels a bit awkward is that the packaging guidelines are
> full of boilerplate like:
[...]
> Heck, there's an entire page full of these:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets

[...]
> It seems to me it'd make sense to convert all these kinds of snippets
> into macros. Am I right, or is there a reason against doing this?
It would be awesome to get rid of the boilerplate.  Honestly though,
I'd rather the solution was "just works" than "replace giant glob of
muck with %{glob_of_muck}"

For instance, if a file gets dropped under /usr/share/icons/something
rpm should run gtk-update-icon-cache /usr/share/icons/something
automatically.

the gtk2 package should be able to drop a file in /usr/lib/rpm/redhat
that makes that happen.  likewise, desktop-file-utils should be able
to drop a file there to make update-desktop-database get run and so
on.

I don't know how hard it would be to fix rpm to allow for that though.

--Ray