FESco meeting summary for 20090605

Simon Wesp cassmodiah at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 8 20:06:36 UTC 2009

Am Freitag, 05 Juni 2009 12:21:01 schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
KF> 17:28:03 <notting> so, we already have -5 to the exception for zsync
KF> 17:28:28 <nirik> #agreed No exception for zsync.

Of course shipping internals is very very evil and I really understand the problems behind them.

I'm a pessimist and I ask myself:
"What is the consequence, if rsync-upstream is unwilling to drop shipping of forked zlib as internal dependency?"
a) drop rsync from fedora?
b) build rsync against system and lose compatibility to rsync original?
c) call the dependency rsync-zlib or whatever?

The zsync difficulty is that zsync tries to be compatible to rsync and needs a forked zlib, like rsync. It's on the dice, that the zlib-internal is bound with the zlib of rsync. I beg, again, for the exception of zsync, because the problem wouldn't be worsened.
It's just a new child of sorrow, sitting in the front of the closed door and knows his brother with the same misfeature is in.
If rsync-upstream is unwilling to drop internal zlib, I believe nothing will happened, because rsync is a centerpiece of every distribution and fedora can't afford drop this package or can't afford to be incompatible to other distributions and rsync itself. And renaming the zlib for this project will bring a flood of *-zlib and that can not be the meaning of it all.

I think this is an important question. I don't want to bring trouble upon fedora project or rsync or anybody else. Additionally, I believe that there are a few applications in fedora which are using shipped internals, too.
As I said it before, I don't want to start trouble, but it should be very helpful to find them and collect them in a seperate tracker. I created one with the bugnumber #504497 to get an overview, about packages/applications with duplicated libs. Please help to find them. Perhaps we can be succeed in conversion of upstream, to help all for a better cooperation and better software. Thank you!
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus dem schönen Hainzell
Simon Wesp

The G in GNU stands for GNU
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SimonWesp