Maintainer Responsibilities

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 9 16:58:14 UTC 2009

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
>
>> [...]  If the bug is important enough to block one of our trackers,
>> we won't close it UPSTREAM, we'll even try to fix it on our own (and
>> then upstream our fix) if upstream doesn't come up with a fix soon
>> enough.
>
> If you "CLOSE"/UPSTREAM it and force your user to report it elsewhere
> instead, you won't know one way or another.

Please reread the first part of the sentence you quoted.

>> But we can't reserve that treatment to every single KDE bug, there
>> are too many!
>
> Thank you for that moment of candour.  It illuminates what is
> really motivating the disagreement about proper process.

The fact is, every large project has thousands of reported bugs. GNOME has
several hundreds of thousands of bugs. KDE has more than 100000, but fewer
than 200000. There's no way a small team of distro packagers for that
project can address them all.

        Kevin Kofler