Upgrade to F11, now yum python module missing

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 10 17:55:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Stefan Grosse wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:17:37 +0200 Stefan Grosse
> <singularitaet at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> SG> During the DVD upgrade from F10 -> F11 I encountered the issue that
> SG> my yum appears broken now:
> SG>
> SG>
> SG> "There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
> SG> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
> SG>
> SG>    No module named yum
> SG>
>
> I could solve it by installing the yum rpm directly via rpm but I
> needed the force argument. Somehow the yum was not upgraded correctly,
> give the hint that the old yum was still there.

you had yum 3.2.23 from f10 updates-testing installed but F11-GA has
3.2.22 available.

so you were updated to python 2.6 from 2.5 - which 'lost' the newer f10
yum b/c it is in the python 2.5 path.

You can try:
1. download yum 3.2.23 from F11-updates
2. install it with rpm -Uvh pkg

or

1. export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages
2. yum update yum

I'm curious if this second one will work.

-sv