GRUB 2 in Ubuntu 9.10

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:25:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:27:23 -0400, Jesse wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 10:12 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Why is GRUB reinstalled with every kernel update then?
>
> What makes you think that it is?  Grubby is ran which inputs the new
> stanza into the config file, however I was not aware of a 'reinstall' of
> grub.

May be true. There's a lot of disk activity at the end of kernel updates
(waking up unused hard-disks even). GRUB fails for some users after random
kernel updates:
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/450143
Note the less noisy comments where nothing else than the kernel pkgs have
been updated prior to a reboot. And if nothing at all in the
/sbin/new-kernel-pkg process (including grubby) touches installed pieces
of GRUB, then why would GRUB fail prior to stage2? It doesn't even start

I must admit I've skimmed over grubby.c without finding reinstall code.
But perhaps the bug reports are just plain inaccurate and misleading?