[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 19:31:53 UTC 2009

Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

> All "Phoronix Test Suite"[1] tests run in *local* host. NO net.
>
> Basically the "apache" test do:
> download http://archive.apache.org/dist/httpd/httpd-2.2.11.tar.gz
> and http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/benchmark-files/apache-ab-test-files-1.tar.gz
>
> then compile apache ; exec it and run ab:
> $ ab -n 500000 -c 100 http://localhost:8088/test.html

So they are grabbing some upstream vanilla version of apache, building
-it- and benchmarking -it- on ubuntu and f11 and comparing the results.

I don't know much about apache but I bet a default ./configure winds up
with different builds depending on the build environment, which in this
case is probably dictated by whatever the default generic OS intall
contains.

And this is useful how?  Geez.

Me, I'd rather know how -Fedora's- httpd fares against -Ubuntu's- httpd,
but maybe I'm just nuts.

-Eric