Fedora PPC console=? to get serial console

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 11 20:36:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:49:03PM +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 19:33 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > It's useful to be able to run Fedora on qemu-system-ppc, if only
> > because it allows me to track down build problems that only affect the
> > ppc builders.  (Which in fact is what got me into this in the first
> > place).
>
> btw, we don't currently have a howto: debug failing builds on esoteric
> architectures. Is it as simple as running mock
>  $ mock -r fedora-11-ppc package.srpm
> and testing the binaries with
>  $ qemu-system ./binary

I'm pretty sure this won't work.  mock would (via yum) try to install
RPMs which had %post scripts that would need to run PPC binaries.
Then the whole make/compiler would also be PPC binaries and so
wouldn't run in mock.

What I'm trying is to boot a Fedora PPC virtual machine, which I then
log into and run mock (or rpmbuild or whatever) inside.

	- - -

PPC64 is a complete mystery to me though.  The errors I get from qemu
seem to indicate that 'qemu-system-ppc64 -cpu ppc64' doesn't
understand the 64 bit opcodes in the ppc64 kernel.  But it claims to
be emulating a PowerPC 970FX (which is a 64 bit processor, commonly
known as the G5).

Doesn't Fedora PPC64 have a 64 bit kernel and 32 bit userland?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/