[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Xose Vazquez Perez xose.vazquez at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 20:41:19 UTC 2009

Eric Sandeen wrote:

> I don't know much about apache but I bet a default ./configure winds up
> with different builds depending on the build environment, which in this
> case is probably dictated by whatever the default generic OS intall
> contains.
>
> And this is useful how?  Geez.
>
> Me, I'd rather know how -Fedora's- httpd fares against -Ubuntu's- httpd,
> but maybe I'm just nuts.

I did *basic* ebizzy[1] tests on f10/f11, and f11 is 1/2 worse.
To compare run also against je[2], it is FreeBSD malloc.

Test env:
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2180  @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 3GB 800 MHz
CHIP: nvidia MCP73
Kernel command line: 1 selinux=0 audit=0
INIT: 1 and kill udev, no user process only bash
MODULES: kill all of them with # rmmod `lsmod  | awk '{print $1}'`
more paranoic: # sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

querida:~/k/ebizzy-0.3 # ./ebizzy -v
ebizzy 0.2
(C) 2006-7 Intel Corporation
(C) 2007 Valerie Henson <val at nmt.edu>
always_mmap 0
never_mmap 0
chunks 10
prevent coalescing using permissions 0
prevent coalescing using holes 0
random_size 0
chunk_size 262144
seconds 10
threads 4
verbose 1
linear 0
touch_pages 0
page size 4096
Allocated memory
Wrote memory
Threads starting

==> f10-glibc.test <==
100 runs
MIN: 7974 records/s
MAX: 12606 records/s
AVG: 10248.3 records/s

==> f10-je.test <==
100 runs
MIN: 7282 records/s
MAX: 12116 records/s
AVG: 10085.6 records/s

==> f11-glibc.test <==
100 runs
MIN: 5247 records/s
MAX: 6094 records/s
AVG: 5676.29 records/s

==> f11-je.test <==
100 runs
MIN: 9904 records/s
MAX: 14019 records/s
AVG: 12106.8 records/s

[1] http://ebizzy.sf.net/
[2] http://www.canonware.com/~ttt/2008/08/stand-alone-jemalloc-for-linux.html

-thanks-

regards,
--
Polycommander, Erkowit, Urquiola, Andros Patria, Cason, Aegean Sea, Prestige, ...