[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 12 15:50:40 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> said:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 19:01 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Is there a benefit to running audit by default? Is it worth the cost?
>
> ...and how does one disable it, so the people doing the benchmarks can
> confirm that's the cause?

At the command-line as root, "chkconfig auditd off" will disable it for
the next boot and "service auditd stop" will stop it for the running
system.

Note that there used to be an issue with stopping autitd where auditing
wasn't actually turned off (just the daemon catching the logging).  You
had to manually turn off auditing with IIRC "auditctl -e 0".  I don't
know if this has been addressed in newer versions.

For benchmarking, you'd probably be better off with disabling it with
chkconfig and doing a clean boot anyway.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>