Heads up: bluetoothd on-demand startup

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Fri Jun 12 18:11:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 07:05:39PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I've added a patch to bluetoothd in F-12 to support being started via
> udev, on-demand. bluetoothd will now only start up when you have a
> Bluetooth adapter plugged, and will exit 30 seconds after the last one
> went away.
>
> The only purpose of the bluetooth initscript is now to switch HID proxy
> adapters into Bluetooth mode (on Macs, and some Logitech and Dell
> keyboard/mouse combos). That'll probably go away as well, and into udev.
>
> File bugs against bluez if you encounter any problems with bluetoothd
> being in the wrong state (ie. started with no Bluetooth hardware, and
> not running when you have Bluetooth hardware).

I've been hoping to find some time to do a big review of system startup
for F-12, but haven't as yet found the time...

How does this actually work? At what stage of boot does udev attempt to
start bluetoothd?

One of my ideas(I guess?) for F-12 is to filter modules loaded at boot
by udev, and defer things that aren't needed for startup until either
idle, or they are needed. (Why do we need sound modules loaded before we
mount root rw? :) I've got a couple hacks from LPC last year I need to
polish and submit for cups to make it somewhat more sensible...

Pardon my curiosity, this is a big step towards better boot up. Thanks
for doing this!

cheers, Kyle