[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 12 22:47:03 UTC 2009

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> But the laypress can't seem to be bothered to actually be a part of the
> development processes which would actually drive solutions to problems..

Because that'd require them to actually USE the product for a nontrivial
amount of time, so that they can give feedback about improvements or
regressions, not just install them, run some automated benchmark suite,
write a bullsh*t article about the results and then reformat the disk with
something different (which is what they're doing now). Reviews from the
press are just as useless as reviews from some random distrohopper (which
also pollute the blogosphere), because that's pretty much what those
journalists are. The real problem is that people believe what the laypress
writes, be it misinformation due to lack of research or understanding of
the field, outdated information, worthless benchmarks or "reviews" full
of "problems" which are mostly of the PEBKAC type and of whining about
actual bugs without any hint at the details required to actually fix them
nor any attempt to report them to the correct place (developers, not
readers).

> I know its a pipe dream...the laypress taking a proactive interest in
> seeing problems resolved instead of just talking about them.

I don't think it's ever going to happen. The laypress should just die,
people need to go directly to the developers to get actual information.

        Kevin Kofler