[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 01:33:13 UTC 2009

> Eric Springer wrote:
> > Especially  considering how many people will use these benchmarks to make
> > conclusions about Fedora, we should make sure it presents as best as it
> > can.
>
> I think we should rather do an informative press campaign on the lines
> of "Why Phoronix benchmarks are utter bullsh*t".
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Kevin,

I must admit that I didn't expect such childish reaction from someone
like you.

You don't like Phoronix' benchmark? Why? What should they have done
differently? Have you ever contacted Phoronix (E.g. Using their forums)
and tried to resolve these issues? Did they refuse?
Yes, encoding MP3 is rotten way to benchmark a file system, but some of
these benchmarks -do- show anomalies, and simply ignoring these
anomalies while FUD'ing the messenger (Phoronix in this case) is
childish.

Might I remind everyone here that Phoronix was the first to offer a
comprehensive benchmark suite to the OSS world. (Google back to 5-10
years ago and you'll see an assortment of half-backed benchmarks that
never really worked... and no, glxgears is not a benchmark!)
Instead of throwing mud at Phoronix, we (as in, all the people that have
grievances with this benchmark suite) -should- concentrate in trying
help Phoronix improve their benchmarking suite.

- Gilboa