[Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jun 13 02:05:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 04:33 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> You don't like Phoronix' benchmark? Why? What should they have done
> differently? Have you ever contacted Phoronix (E.g. Using their forums)
> and tried to resolve these issues? Did they refuse?

They should use distribution-compiled binaries - or at least record and
explain the fact that they don't, and check whether there are
significant differences between the compiled binaries they use on each
distro. And when they observe anomalies, they should try and do some
kind of research to confirm the result and figure out _why_, not just
note the fact of the anomaly.

Multiple people have pointed this out to them in the past, but they
haven't really made a concerted effort to change. I have a kind of
love/hate relationship with Phoronix - they're a popular site and do
some really good stuff, but they also make a lot of frustratingly lazy
mistakes and shorthand contractions in many articles.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey