What I HATE about F11

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sun Jun 14 14:45:09 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 10:35 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 22:19 -0400, Charles Butterfield wrote:
> <snip>
> >       * Root gdm login - gets harder every release - SHAME ON YOU root
> >         nazis!
> You can always init 3, login as root and startx if you *really need*
> graphical root login (or use su in gnome-terminal or whatever gui
> terminal is your favourite). I think that disabling root login in gdm is
> fairly good security measure for noobs coming windows while experienced
> administrators still know what to do if they need it. But I've never
> really needed gui root login for the 4 past years I've been using Fedora
> linux.

I haven't done a graphical root login in the past 10 years probably and
on multiple distribution. Graphical root login is meaningless.

> >       * Samba (outbound) browsing requires firewall mods
> I don't know how Samba works, so forgive me if I say obvious stupidity,
> but shouldn't *client* work even behind closed firewall (like with any
> other services like ssh, ftp, ...)? Isn't this a samba bug then?

Samba as a client needs to listen for Netbios packets replies (UDP) to
do browsing, so since F-10 (yes this is not something new in F-11) the
firewall has strict rules and there is a "samba client" specific rule.

> >       * Jamming SELinux enforcing mode with no query during install
> Well, what works for me does not tell anything in general, but for the
> first time, I've been using SELinux enforcing mode since installing
> Fedora 11 Alpha. It does not get into my way.

I've been developing even on F-11 pres and on F-10 with SELinux
enforcing.
I had a relabeling problem only after the upgrade process done during
beta (where you don't expect everything to work fine anyway).
No real problem whatsoever for regular usage.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York