iptables/firewall brainstorming

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun Jun 14 18:30:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:34:52 +0100
Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 06:13:51PM +0200, Julian Aloofi wrote:
>
> > So, solving this is pretty easy, even for newbies. But I agree that
> > the error message will not help someone without advanced knowledge.
> > Although I think people running Samba generally will know where to
> > look for the problem.
>
> I think this is actually a problem that needs solving. We have
> several network services that are either installed by default or
> might be expected to be part of a standard setup, but which don't
> work because of the default firewall rules. The Anaconda people have
> (sensibly, IMHO) refused to simply add further exceptions to the
> firewall policy.
>
> So, what should happen here? Should we leave the firewall enabled in
> these cases* by default and require admins to open them? If so, is
> there any way that we can make this easier in some
> Packagekit-oriented manner? If not, how should we define that
> packages indicate that they need ports opened? Should this be handled
> at install time or run time?
>
> * The case that I keep hitting is mDNS resolution, which requires
> opening a hole in the firewall

I keep wondering if we couldn't come up with something
like a /etc/iptables.d/ type setup somehow that would work for these
cases.

In the case of a package that does not need any configuration done and
only needs a firewall rule to function, we could add a file in there to
add it's rule.

For cases of packages that DO need to be configured, add a file, but
have it disabled/commented until the service is configured. This could
be done by hand, or when someone runs a system-config-whatever and
finishes configuring, the rules could be enabled by the tool as part of
a 'make live' or 'activate' or something.

If we had something like this, packages could ship their
own /etc/iptables.d files.

Just a thought.

kevin