What I HATE about F11

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 00:11:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Lennart Poettering<mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> Are you speaking of the same smolt that lists es1371 as most popular
> sound card? i.e. a sound card that has been out of production since
> about 10 years now? Somehow I have serious doubts about the validity
> of the smolt data.

You might have found a bug in the tallying there in how cards are
self-identifying product strings. You'll notice the same exact entry
is listed twice in the Audio device table.  Are cards using the
ENS1371 driver misreporting their vendor/card version info? There are
only 5 listings in the table for the ENS1371 driver. There are dozens
listed for the Intel ICH driver. I bet if you totalled up counts by
driver, things would look more sensible to you with intel being a
reasonably large percentage of the drivers in use.

> Also, isn't the smolt data generated as part of the installation
> process, i.e. at a time where people haven't yet had the time to
> disable SELinux?

smolt updates the info associated with a UUID via its service and
cronjob configuration on a roughly monthly basis, unless someone
disables the smolt service.

-jef