Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Jun 15 05:24:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 01:09:52AM -0400, James Antill wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 08:46 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > (Reposting to f-d-l from my blog post last night.
> > http://domsch.com/blog/?p=85 includes a couple nice graphs to help
> > illustrate.)
> >
> > CDs are Dead. Long live CDs.
> >
> > I was running some stats on the Fedora 11 release, and an interesting
> > thing caught my eye. Very few people are downloading the six (or in
> > the case of PPC, seven) CDs to perform a Fedora install. Very Very
> > few. In fact, at most, six people downloaded split media CDs using the
> > Fedora mirror servers in the first few days.
>
>  I find that hard to believe, unless you mean via. MirrorManager?
>  I know I downloaded all six CD isos directly from the kernel.org
> mirror, within a few hours of GA.
>  For previous releases I'd tended to use the torrent, to get them all,
> as it was somewhat easier (but slower).

Right, I have no way to get the stats from each individual mirror,
public or private.  This was just looking at the clicks through
mirrors.fp.o/download.fp.o.

> >  This in contrast to the
> > over 234,000 direct downloads of DVDs and LiveCDs in the same amount
> > of time. BitTorrent statistics are a little better for CDs: 908
> > completed downloads of the split media CDs, out of 41,235 total
> > downloads (or ~2.2 %).
>
>  These are believable, but I'd still put money on the fact that more
> than 2.2% of users use CDs ... one of my machines here is an x86_64 Dell
> box, about 2 years old. And only has a CD drive.
>  Now, sure, I normally only burn CD 1 ... and then use an exploded http
> install for anaconda. So I could probably make DVD only work, but it's
> much easier to just get the CDs.

In this case, the netinst.iso (157MB) would suffice, right?  No one is
proposing removing that.

I'm not saying get rid of all CDs.  Clearly the netinst.iso and
LiveCDs would remain under any circumstance.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO