Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 15 20:21:27 UTC 2009

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Way back when in February [1], FESCo decided that for Fedora 11, i586 would
> be the default architecture, and for Fedora 12, it would be some variant of
> i686. It's time to follow through on that action item.
>
> I've submitted https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support. It
> defines the default arch as i686 + SSE2.
>
> What CPUs do we lose that F11 supports?
>
> - Intel Pentium III

There goes my gateway[1] (unless I spend $250+ to replace it[2]).

(1: purpose, not brand)
(2: ...which I suppose wouldn't be so bad since I would probably get
less power consumption from the bargain.)

> A seconday arch could be done for these older CPUs, if someone is interested
> enough.
>
> Comments? Flames? Predictions of doom?

One of the strengths of Linux is ability to run on older hardware. It
seems a shame that Fedora would leave behind that ability. I could see
dropping e.g. "pure" i586, ppro, etc, but P3's are not /that/ old and
still pretty decent machines for running Linux.

I will be unhappy if P3 support goes piff.

--
Matthew
End of Transmission