Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Jun 16 04:02:02 UTC 2009

On 6/15/09 5:43 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Krzysztof Halasa (khc at pm.waw.pl) said:
>> Oh I didn't know my old `2001 PIII 128 MB laptop is that old.
>> Works fine with F11 BTW.
>
> It's old enough that the processor ceased production before Fedora
> even existed.

And that matters because ...?

Shouldn't it matter simply that it's deployed hardware?  Really...
Rather than, "PPro/PII/PIII/Athlon is old," isn't the proper rationale
for this change, "P4/PM/Atom deployment is substantially greater than
PPro/PII/PIII/Athlon/Geode"?

Now, I have no idea if that's true and I'm not asserting that it is.
But surely this argument should be framed in terms of the benefit and
cost to Fedora users (and potential Fedora users).

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>               Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>