Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Jun 16 23:43:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:15:54 -0700, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 00:30 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Your signature promotes freedom^2 but this pisses you off?
>
> The reasoning behind it is what irks me.  It really seems to come down
> to "I'm just going to do it so neener neener neener :p"
>

>> > Whether or not it is a good idea to continue to produce them, you
don't
>> > care, you're just going to do it anyway.  Great way to run a project.
>> >

>> If by this you mean my judgement is not influenced by whether *you*
think
>> it is or is not a good idea, then you are absolutely right.
>
> I honestly don't care whether or not it's influenced by what I think.  I
> just wish you project put some thought and effort into discovering why
> people ask for or download split CDs other than just shutting off your
> brain at "They asked for it".  What users ask for is not always what
> they really want, often they just don't know of better alternatives.
> Instead of watching users gleefully bash a nail in using a round rock,
> you might instead teach them about a hammer and improve their life.

Rather then patronizing the users that come to us asking for CD media,
saying they don't know what they want, we provide what they ask for. You
think of that as a thoughtless process but then again I'm used to you
saying things like that about me, I grew a thick skin over the years.

If by better alternatives you mean net-install, please do realize not
everyone has a network infrastructure or fast internet connection.

If by better alternatives you mean LiveCDs, please note that these do not
allow one to upgrade the existing Fedora installation, nor do they allow as
much flexibility in configuration during the installation procedure.

-Jeroen