Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Jun 16 23:49:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:25:37 +0200, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> You should also mention that:
>>
>> * some arguments have been provided to potential causes of these lower
>> numbers, and
>> * some evidence has been provided contradicting the enormous differences
>> seen at mirrors.fp.o/download.fp.o
>
> That's true, but the torrent numbers seem to be fairly reliable (though
of
> course they only cover a subset of users and there may be some
> statistically significant bias in the subset, so they have to be taken
with
> a grain of salt as well).

Just like the numbers I provided, I think these numbers cannot be trusted
entirely.

>>> * There seem to be significant community voices in favor of dropping
>> split
>>> CD media.
>>
>> Does "significant" here mean the numbers, or the persons that are in
>> favour?
>
> A bit of both,

Then I should add there's also a number of significant community voices
against dropping split CD media, but then again I think that horse has been
beaten and we all know where we stand by now.

>> Completely separate from that point, we are saying we will continue to
>> release CDs. We've said we see more value in quality then we do in
>> quantity.
>
> It's actually quality which some people here are worried about. Split
media
> need to be tested carefully, releasing them on your own means you have
all
> the burden of testing, and if something goes wrong, Fedora may be blamed
> for it.
>
> I personally think this concern is overblown, but I'm worried about the
way
> you dismiss it entirely.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not dismissing it, at all. I've said
before and will repeat here again that we are perfectly willing to do the
work involved. I'll not get into the details of how that willingness is
being dismissed by several of the involved upstreams but I also think that
the Fedora Unity track record has proven that we are willing, capable and
qualified.

-Jeroen