Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 00:28:43 UTC 2009

> drago01 (drago01 at gmail.com) said:
> > > Way back when in February [1], FESCo decided that for Fedora 11, i586 would
> > > be the default architecture, and for Fedora 12, it would be some variant of
> > > i686. It's time to follow through on that action item.
> >
> > Moving to i686 is fine, non i686 chips are mostly dead (but the
> > perfomance gain from moving to i686 from i586 is questionable at
> > best).
>
> ... how so? It's consistently 1-2% in reasonable benchmarks (real-world
> code, albeit cpu-specific).

Dan of Dan's Data has a rule of thumb I've always found sensible, which
is that any performance increase less than 5% is not worth putting
yourself to any kind of trouble for.

Has anyone benchmarked i686+SSE2 vs. i686 yet? It would seem a
prerequisite for such a controversial proposal. And in general-purpose
apps, not stuff that's known to benefit from it like media encoding
(which we have ways to handle without stuffing up the entire distro for
slightly old hardware).

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey