Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 00:56:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 02:38 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> User: "I only have a CD-ROM, what do I do?"
>
> Fedora: "We know you wanted to install a different set of packages, but
> here's a LiveCD that you can then tweak after the installation, to get the
> packages you originally wanted. Ohw, and please mind you cannot 1) use a
> kickstart file to automate the installation or 2) upgrade the current
> Fedora installation. You might also not be able to customize the
> installation to it's full extent."

I honestly don't see this as unreasonable for people on really legacy
hardware.  It's akin to what we do for people who insist upon text only
installs.

Something else not terribly unreasonable, instead of split CD media, a
single CD offered that is netinst.iso plus the contents of @core and
@base if it'll fit on a CD.  Then they can do whatever custom install
they want, and add packages after install, either from a DVD media or
from a local mirror, or from the Internet.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!