Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:24:42 UTC 2009

>>  >  What CPUs do we lose that F11 supports?
>>  >
>>  >  - Intel i586 (all)
>>
>> judging by the number of 586 users who register with smolt (less than 0.1%
>> our entire userbase), not that big a deal.
>
> I don't think smolt accurately tells the picture here.  Most older hardware
> in use wouldn't be a traditional install where you might have a chance of
> using smolt, but rather something special purpose, like thin clients.
>
> That being said, I'm in favor i686 + SSE2.  We however need to take the i586
> secondary arch seriously.  With i586 being a priority, this might help to
> improve processes in general for the other secondary archs?  I dunno.

I could deal with i586 as a secondary arch when there is a proven
secondary arch fully up and running. The best I've seen is sparc and
s390 where I get random collections of my packages fail to compile due
to deps (and I do check to see if its something on my end). Maybe this
would be useful for F14 once PPC becomes secondary in the F13
development phase.

Peter