rpm AutoRequires/AutoProvides and dsos not in linker path, do we care ?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jun 17 21:54:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:00:06AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> said:
> > On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 09:42:38AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > That breaks things, because a program in /usr/bin may require a module
> > > or library in a private directory.  You have to search all directories
> > > for provides to satisfy internal requires.
> >
> > If a program in /usr/bin requires something in a private, non-system
> > directory that is provided by a different package, then the
> > provides/requires need to express that somehow, perhaps by using a
> > full path in the provides.
>
> I was talking about in the same package.  For example, MRTG installs in
> /usr/bin/mrtg, and then needs private perl modules.  If you simply
> remove the private directories, you'll end up with broken dependencies
> because /usr/bin/mrtg needs modules that are not provided anywhere.

I don't see why.  You would obviously filter out the Requires as well
as the Provides.  Those files are in the same package as the binary,
so they'll always be there when the package is installed.