Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12 (#2)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 22:58:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM, James Hubbard<jameshubbard at gmail.com> wrote:
> grep lm /proc/cpuinfo

Specifically what information can you rely on in that info will be a
reliably indication that your particular Centrino branded cpu is 64bit
capable? is there a particular flag that marks it as 64bit capable or
do you have to know something about the specific cpuid?

> Trying to berate people into using x86_64 as I've seen in this and
> other threads has gotten annoying.

Berate? I'm not trying to berate anyone. What I am trying to do is get
a handle on how to potentially mitigate as much as possible avoidable
impact associated with an architecture policy change if and when it
happens.  If running 32bit Fedora on 64bit hardware is widespread, any
substantial change in policy with regard to 32bit maybe more
disruptive than we originally realize.  Hmm, I wonder does smolt give
any relevant info as to my question. Can smolt tell give me an
indication of the percentage of 64bit capable systems which are
running 32bit Fedora? Hmm.

-jef