Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 00:46:30 UTC 2009

>>> ppc/ppc64 is supported in RHEL.  It is no longer a primary arch in Fedora.
>>
>>Sorry? I thought it was still primary until after F-12. So yes its
>>scheduled to be a secondard arch for F-13 in 12 months time. Its not
>>one yet.
>
> Correct.  Though in the context of the discussion, it won't be in the RHEL7
> timeframe.  I was simply using it as a counter to the "but RHEL" argument.

I don't see RHEL as any form of argument. RedHat does a mass recompile
anyway even if its just to remove the fcXX release tag so the
discussion of their platforms support has nothing to do with Fedora. I
wouldn't be surprised at all if RHEL6 doesn't support i386 at all!
After all they need to support the release for 7 years not 1 year like
Fedora does (at work we're now just decommissioning RHEL2.1 systems
because its now not supported - not our choice but our customers) and
the commercial systems are going that way. VMWare ESX4 is only
supported on x64, a number of new MS products are only 64 bit etc. But
then all server systems have been x64 capable for 5 years now and most
of the old ones wouldn't be upgraded (if its not broke don't fix it
etc).

Peter